Sunday, August 25, 2013

Is UHD the new 3D?

With ESPN and BBC all giving up on 3D, it seems like 3DTVs are just a passing fad. I've personally never enjoyed 3D movies all that much and more often than not, give me headaches. I've not saying 3D has no place in art or movies. I'm very interested to see how the Oculus Rift will turn out as that seems a much better application for 3D. These days people are sticking 3D into every movie just so they can charge $5 more per movie ticket.


Now that 3D has officially lost its touch, TV manufactures are looking for the new "feature" to sell high end TVs. Many feel that UHD is the new "gimmick" and that 1080p is good enough for video. However, I would ask if those if they've ever seen a retina screen on an iPhone or iPad. The quality and detail those displays provide always blow me away and it gets painful when I stare at a non-retina screen.

Difficult to say if UHD will become a passing fad like 3D or become a requirement of any new TV purchased, but I personally think the biggest factor will probably be content. If content providers and create UHD-worthy content, just like what HD video has done for HDTVs, UHD will most likely stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment